Sunday, March 27, 2011

THIS MANGO IS A LINK TO FOOD SECURITY


In the Northern Region of Ghana, the mango tree is very important. The tree provides shade. I stand accused that whenever I am out I have my eye out for the nearest mango tree. Also the fruit provides food and income for many. Mangos like this grow all over the place. This mango I did eat today, it grew directly in front of the house I am living in located in the village of Jisonayeilli! A funny story, today I was speaking with Mr. Alhasan, my neighbor. He said that the children were picking the mangos before they were ripe (next month). He hung a cow horn on the tree and told them that if they pick the mangos before they are ripened that something would happen to them. The children are not picking the mangos now! Next month they will be totally ripened for everyone to enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment